[Comp-neuro] CFP: CogSci 2010 Workshop - Compositional Connectionism in Cognitive Science II: The Localist / Distributed Dimension

Ross Gayler r.gayler at gmail.com
Sat May 1 02:23:49 CEST 2010

CogSci 2010 Workshop - Compositional Connectionism in Cognitive Science II:
The Localist / Distributed Dimension

Portland, Oregon, USA 11 August, 2010
http://www.cs.wlu.edu/~levy/cogsci2010/

Dear list members,

The aim of this workshop is to bring together researchers working with
a wide range of compositional connectionist models, independent of
application domain (e.g. language, logic, analogy, web search), with a
focus on what commitments (if any) each model makes to localist or
distributed representation.  We therefore welcome and encourage
submissions from both localist and distributed modelers, as well as
those whose work bypasses this distinction or challenges its
importance.  We expect vigorous and exciting debate on this issue.

Topics of interest include:

* What do we mean by "localist" / "distributed" in terms of the
relationship between connectionist units and the items they represent?

* To what extent is the term "connectionist" still valid; i.e., has
the distributed / localist dimension supplanted the symbolic /
connectionist dimension as the major axis of difference among
cognitive models?

* How plausible and feasible is "holistic" computation, in which an
entire structure is manipulated with sensitivity to its constituent
parts without being decomposed into those parts, and does this
feasibility depend on whether the representation is localist /
distributed?

* Are temporal-synchrony-firing models necessarily localist?

* What constraints can neuroscience research bring to the distributed
/ localist debate, and what can this debate contribute to the
interpretation of neuroscientific research?

* Are some cognitive functions more plausibly seen as localist, and
others more plausibly distributed?

* Do distributed (or localist) models scale more easily than localist
(distributed) models to realistically large problems?

* If two connectionist models, one distributed and the other localist,
both account reasonably well for the same phenomenon, how can we judge
between them?

* What mathematical principles (fractals, holography, chaos, etc.) can
be borrowed from physics and other sciences to shed light on the
nature of connectionist mental representations?

PROGRAMME

Our plenary speakers are Chris Eliasmith (U. Waterloo) and John Hummel
(U. Illinois), for whom we plan to allocate roughly two hours of the
day-long workshop.  This leaves time for around 12 additional paper
presentations (20 minutes talk plus 10 minutes for questions).

CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

My co-organizer Ross Gayler and I invite you to submit a one-page
abstract on a topic that you consider relevant to these issues.
Acceptance will be based on the abstracts, with 6 page conference
papers to be delivered at the workshop.

PUBLICATION PLANS

The CogSci 2010 proceedings will only contain a brief description of
the workshop, written before the speakers are known.  However, Ross
and I plan to seek a publication venue for the accepted papers.  We
have already been approached by the editor of a well-established and
respected journal for the possibility of a special issue.  We expect
standard six-page conference papers for the workshop but will try to
be flexible for the published versions based on the more open-ended
publication plans.

DATES

It would be helpful for us to know right away the number of people
interested in submitting an abstract.  Please send me an email
immediately if you intend submitting an abstract.

Although we are not tied to the CogSci conference publication
schedule, Ross and I have found it useful to set a deadline of 15 May
for the submission of abstracts, the same as the camera-ready deadline
for the conference, and a deadline of 04 August for the papers,
allowing us to hand out pre-prints of the papers at the workshop.

In sum, here are the relevant dates:

Now:      Informal letter of intent to submit abstract
15 May:   One-page abstract with references
04 Aug:   Six-page paper

Again, if you have any inclination to submit something, please let me
know right away.  Even if you don't, we hope to see you at the
workshop in Portland on 11 August.  Details of registration and
accommodation can be found via the workshop website:
http://www.cs.wlu.edu/~levy/cogsci2010/

Best,
Simon

--