[Comp-neuro] PhD position in Computational Neuroscience / Bernstein Center Berlin / Germany

Martin Nawrot martin.nawrot at fu-berlin.de
Mon Mar 29 22:34:33 CEST 2010

PhD position in Computational Neuroscience: modeling object recognition
and decision making

The Theoretical Neuroscience group at the Freie Universität Berlin and
the Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience Berlin opens a PhD
position in Computational Neuroscience within the collaborative research
center 'Theoretical Biology' (Sonderforschungsbereich 618).

In this project we investigate object recognition and decision making in
small neural networks. Using the auditory system of the cricket as a
model system we ask how an auditory object is recognized, evaluated, and
how a behavioral decision is formed. Our approach employs models of
collecting sensory evidence and forming decisions at different levels of
abstraction. In the collaborating experimental lab, an experimental PhD
student performs the behavioral and electrophysiological experiments
needed to constrain the modeling approaches. Ultimately, we want to
represent the computation performed in a small network such as the
cricket's central brain in a functional neural network model.

The successful candidate will have a solid theoretical background and a
strong interest in neural information processing. Experience with
abstract modeling of information processing and/or computational neural
network modeling, and experience with the analysis of neural data will
be of advantage. The candidate is expected to closely interact with his
experimental counterpart.

The PhD candidate will be part of a young and interdisciplinary team
with strong competences in neural data analysis and modeling of neural
information processing. The collaborative research center and the
Bernstein Center Berlin provide a stimulating and outstanding scientific
environment for computational systems neuroscience. PhD students can
participate in the PhD program of the Bernstein Center and the Graduate
School Sensory Computation. The appointment will be temporary until June
2013.

Applications including a cover letter (reference code: SFB 1201), a
curriculum vitae, and copies of relevant qualifications should be sent
in electronic form to martin.nawrot at fu-berlin.de, or in paper form to

Prof. Martin Nawrot
Neuroinformatics and Theoretical Neuroscience
Institute of Biology
Freie Universität Berlin
Königin-Luise-Str. 1-3
D - 14195 Berlin

Applications received before April 12, 2010 will be assured full
consideration.

http://www.biologie.fu-berlin.de/neuroinformatik/index.html

The Freie Universität Berlin strives to increase the percentage of
female employees in the field of science and encourages applications
from female candidates. Handicapped applicants will be given preference
in the case of equal qualifications.

 Prof. Martin Paul Nawrot

 Neuroinformatik                   |  Bernstein Center for
                                   |  Computational Neuroscience Berlin
 Freie Universitaet Berlin         |
 Department of Neurobiology        |  www.bccn-berlin.de
 Institute of Biology              |