[Comp-neuro] Monograph "Nonlinear dynamics of Hodgkin-Huxley neurons"

Lech Borkowski lech.s.borkowski at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 10:20:29 CET 2010

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to announce the availability of my monograph on the dynamics of
the Hodgkin-Huxley model. Two important new ideas are the multimodal
transition and the stochastic anti-resonance. I can send a limited number of
printed copies to those interested. The entire text is also available on the
web:

Cover <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Vdi07CtXAfFQsUTzWrPnww>
Table of contents<http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BxyTkdW5b4lHNWQ5YzM3NjgtNmEyZC00Nzk4LWFkODQtMjlkN2U5YWE0NGQ4&hl=en>
pages 1-70<http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BxyTkdW5b4lHNDA2MzFkMDEtYjk4YS00ZDUzLTg5Y2EtYWVjMWIyYWYyNGY1&hl=en>
pages 71-78<http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BxyTkdW5b4lHNzE2YTVjYzctZGY5Mi00YTZmLTk0ZjItOTJmMDIyNGJlZTk4&hl=en>

L. S. Borkowski
Nonlinear dynamics of Hodgkin-Huxley neurons

Adam Mickiewicz University Press
Poznan (2010)
ISBN 978-83-232-2106-7

The abstract:

This monograph describes the dynamics of the Hodgkin-Huxley neuron
stimulated by period and stochastic stimuli. In the high frequency regime
there is a multimodal transition between the odd-only modes and the state
with both odd and even modes. This singularity appears in the presence of
noise as a stochastic anti-resonance. The competition of different parity
modes is reflected also in the structure of the resonances, where even and
odd phase-locked states are separated by crossover regimes. The boundaries
between various mode-locked state form complicated patterns. The relation
between the output frequency and stimulus amplitude near the excitation
threshold is often continuous even in the absence of noise. Models of
regular spiking excitatory and inhibitory cells of mammalian cortex are also
studied within this framework. The obtained high variability of response
agrees with experiments in vivo.

Comments are welcome.

Best regards,
Lech