[Comp-neuro] Graduate position in Neuroscience Theory Lab at University of Maryland, College Park

Dan Butts dab at umd.edu
Tue Nov 17 05:07:17 CET 2009

I am planning to hire a Ph.D. student to join the NeuroTheory Lab at University of Maryland, located in suburban Washington, DC.  Research in our lab encompasses a range of theoretical analysis and computational modeling concerned with understanding how the cortex processes sensory information, with a focus on the visual system.  While all projects are primarily computational, they are often coupled with experiments performed by collaborators and will involve many opportunities for cross-disciplinary training.  Please see our research page for more information (link below).  Our lab is situated in the midst of a group of neurophysiology labs investigating the visual, auditory, and olfactory systems, and part of the larger neuroscience program at UMd with over 100 other groups.

Applicants must be enthusiastic, independently minded, and highly motivated, with a background in a quantitative discipline such as physics, mathematics, engineering, or computer science.  Applications must be sent to one of two graduate programs: either to Biological Sciences within the concentration of Physiology, or the Neuroscience and Cognitive Science program.  See the links below for more information, and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Best regards.

Dan Butts
Assistant Professor
Department of Biology and NACS
University of Maryland, College Park
dab at umd.edu

Neurotheory Lab:
http://biology.umd.edu/ntlab

Hyperlinked announcement:
http://www.clfs.umd.edu/biology/ntlab/NTlab/Job_Opportunities.html

Biological Sciences Graduate Program:
http://chemlife.umd.edu/graduateprograms/degreeprograms/biologicalsciencesgraduateprogrambisi

Neuroscience and Cognitive Science (NACS) Graduate Program:
http://nacs.umd.edu