[Comp-neuro] "How to model neurons and neural systems?", Workshop in Warsaw, 14-15 January 2010

Daniel Wójcik d.wojcik at nencki.gov.pl
Mon Nov 16 16:16:01 CET 2009

	  Second Polish-Norwegian Neuroinformatics Workshop
		  Warsaw, Poland, January 14-15, 2010

	       How to model neurons and neural systems?
	 Integrating biophysics, morphology, and connectivity

Construction of realistic neural models faces multiple challenges.
Characteristics of membrane physiology are often obtained from different
cells. Reconstruction of the neuron morphologies and network
connectivity are each posing problems of their own. For practical
reasons it is impossible to build a realistic model of any single neuron
which leads to multiple questions: What do models tell us about the
reality? What are the most reliable strategies for building single
neurons and networks on different levels of complexity? How can we
automatically generate populations of morphologically and
physiologically different neurons and how can we tune them to best
approximate the real systems?

The Second Polish-Norwegian Neuroinformatics Workshop in Warsaw, 2010,
will address these and related issues. Gathering modelers and
computational anatomists, theoreticians and experimentalists, we aim at
providing a forum for discussion of optimal model-building strategies,
summarizing state of the art, and opening new vistas for the future.

Confirmed Speakers:
- Giorgio Ascoli (Fairfax)
- Ingo Bojak (Nijmingen)
- Stephen Coombes (Nottingham)
- Rodney Douglas (Zurich)
- Shaul Druckmann (Jerusalem)
- Gaute Einevoll (Aas)
- Wulfram Gerstner (Lausanne)
- Andreas Herz (Munich)
- Jan Karbowski (Warsaw)
- Rolf Kotter (Nijmingen)
- Anders Lansner (Stockholm)
- Daniel Wojcik (Warsaw)

For information and registration, see
	http://www.neuroinf.pl/NIWorkshop2010
Due to space constraints the number of participants is limited to 80 so
we encourage early registration.

Scientific organizers:
Daniel K Wojcik, Nencki Instite of Experimental Biology, Warszawa
Gaute T Einevoll, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Aas

Funding
The workshop is supported by a grant from Norway through the Norwegian
Financial Mechanism and the Polish-Norwegian Research Fund.

--
Daniel K. Wojcik, PhD, DSc
Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology