[Comp-neuro] Phd in cellular and network electrophysiology

Michele Giugliano michele at tnb.ua.ac.be
Wed Jul 22 11:25:23 CEST 2009

Dear all,

a PhD position is available immediately in my new group at the
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Antwerp, Belgium. I am
seeking a
talented and enthusiastic PhD international candidate with a strong
background in physics, engineering, or life sciences and with some
knowledge of neuroscience.

My group is interested in linking cortical single-cell and synaptic
(electro)physiology to network-level electrical emerging phenomena (ref.
Cereb Cortex, 2008; J Neurosci 2007; Biol Cybern 2009), while exploiting
a combination of in vitro experimental techniques. These involve
conventional patch-clamp recording and substrate arrays of
microelectrode for both extracellular recordings and stimulation.
Translation to in vivo cortical electrophysiolgical experiments in the
lab, on anesthetized or behaving rodents, may be possible in a wider
research context.

Previous experience / exposure to cellular neurophysiology and
patch-clamp is helpful. Basic mathematical skills and good programming
experience are very strong advantages, as is general computer and
electronic proficiency. Interest and skills in developing
non-conventional computer-controlled real-time experimental paradigms
are a plus.

The laboratory is located in Antwerp, home town of the painter Rubens,
2nd city in Belgium, and receptacle of monuments, museums and churches.
It is the 2nd largest harbour in Europe and the world’s top centre for
diamond processing. Only ~3h away from London or Koln, and 2h from Paris
or Amsterdam by train, and also served by Brussel airport, Antwerp is
located
at the center of Europe.

Applications including a CV, a letter of reference and a 500 words
description of the applicant’s motivation, should be sent electronically
to michele.giugliano_AT_ua.ac.be until December 2nd, 2009. Any inquiries
should be addressed at Prof. Michele Giugliano at
michele.giugliano_AT_ua.ac.be (mass-emails will be trashed).

Yours
MG

--
Michele Giugliano, PhD