[Comp-neuro] Postdoctoral position in ion channel modulation and neuronal excitability

Erik De Schutter erik at oist.jp
Thu Jul 16 07:21:00 CEST 2009

A postdoctoral position is available in the Computational Neuroscience
Unit of Dr. Erik De Schutter at the Okinawa Institute of Science and
Technology (http://www.irp.oist.jp/cns/) to study the effect of
channel modulation on excitability of  neurons. For this modeling
project we are looking for somebody with experience in ion channel
electrophysiology. The project involves expanding recent models of
cerebellar neurons to include channel phosphorylation and other
modulatory processes, controlled by simplified models of the signaling
pathways. These models will then be used to study the role of channel
modulation in excitability homeostasis and plasticity.
Candidates should have a good understanding of ion channel gating
mechanisms and experience in ion channel electrophysiology. Experience
in computational modeling is a plus but, if needed, we can provide on-
site training. There will be ample opportunity to interact with
modelers in the lab who are working on several Purkinje cell and
cerebellar related projects and with other scientists at OIST.
We offer attractive financial and working conditions in an English
language environment. Initial appointments for two years with starting
date in 2009. More information about the Okinawa Institute of Science
and Technology is available at http://www.oist.jp/

Send curriculum vitae, summary of research interests and experience,
and the names of three referees to Dr. Erik De Schutter at erik at oist.jp