[Comp-neuro] Two Postdoctoral Positions in Computational Neuroscience at ENS Paris

Christian Machens christian.machens at ens.fr
Fri Jan 23 15:59:57 CET 2009

The Group for Neural Theory at the Ecole normale superieure in Paris is
searching
for two postdocs in computational / theoretical neuroscience. Our
research focuses
on identifying links between the biophysics of single neuron, the
dynamics of neural
networks, and the computations carried out by neural systems. Within
these limits,
we investigate a range of problems such as probabilistic inference and
statistical
learning in neural circuits, models of drug addiction, or models of
working memory
and decision-making.

Applicants should have a PhD, strong quantitative skills, and an
interest in
understanding biological systems. The two positions are:

(1) A "Senior" postdoc position. Here we are looking for an
exceptionally talented
and enthusiastic candidate with a background in computational
neuroscience. The
ideal candidate will be scientifically independent and pursue his/her
own research
program. He/she will profit from a rich and collaborative research
environment and
in turn contribute to it. The position is funded for up to four years
(initial
appointment two years) and comes with a generous travel allowance.
Applications
should include a CV, a research proposal (max two pages), and two
letters of
recommendation. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until
a suitable
candidate has been found. The starting date is envisioned in the spring
or
summer.

(2) A "Junior" postdoc position. The ideal candidate will have a
background in
machine learning and/or computational neuroscience and will pursue one
of the
group projects related to the neural basis of Bayesian computation (see
our website
for more information). In particular, the candidate could combine
statistical models of
neural processing with analysis of neural data recorded by our
experimental
collaborators. The position is funded for up to two years (initial
appointment one
year), with possibility of extension. Applications should include a CV,
a statement
of research interests (max 1 page), and two letters of recommendation.
Applications
will be reviewed on a rolling basis up to 28/2/2009. The earliest
starting date is
1/3/2009.

We are a young and international group of about 15 researchers with
three principal
investigators (Sophie Deneve, Boris Gutkin, and Christian Machens;
please contact our
website for details, http://www.gnt.ens.fr/). Our group is located in
the Quartier Latin, the
very heart of Paris, at the Ecole normale superieure. Both the Ecole
normale superieure
and Paris in general provide a strong and interactive environment for
computational
neuroscience. The working language in our group is English.

Please send applications (preferred format pdf) and further inquiries
via email to
one of us:

     Sophie Deneve (sophie.deneve at ens.fr)
     Boris Gutkin (boris.gutkin at ens.fr)
     Christian Machens (christian.machens at ens.fr).

If you will be attending the Cosyne 2009 Conference in Salt Lake City,
there will be
opportunities to meet there.