[Comp-neuro] Postdoc in Biology and Engineering at Northeastern University, Boston

Dagmar Sternad dagmar at neu.edu
Wed Jan 14 20:43:18 CET 2009

Position for a Postdoctoral Fellow in Human Motor Control

Dagmar Sternad, Action Lab

Northeastern University
Departments of Biology, Electrical & Computer Engineering and Physics
Center for the Interdisciplinary Research on Complex Systems

We are seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral fellow to work in the area
of sensorimotor systems and computational neuroscience. Our research is on
motor control and motor learning in human movement coordination, with a
focus on stability and variability in human behavior and extensions to
clinical populations and rehabilitation. Our interdisciplinary research
program addresses questions in motor control from the perspective of
coordinated behavior as a complex dynamical system, bridging disciplinary
approaches from nonlinear dynamics, biomechanics and engineering,
neuroscience and psychology. The overall goal of our research is to
understand the generation of perceptually controlled behavior in
biological systems at a macroscopic level.

Our lab is equipped with several experimental stations, ranging from two
virtual reality set-ups with a robot manipulandum, 3D motion analysis
system with surface EMG. The lab will also acquire more data collection
systems in the near future. Our laboratory is currently supported by the
National Science Foundation, The National Institutes of Health and the
Office of Naval Research. For more information visit our website.

Candidates should have a Ph.D. in one of the following disciplines:
Physical and Engineering Sciences, Biology, Neuroscience or Psychology.
The applicant should demonstrate an academic record of scientific
excellence, independent research, and a strong interest in an
interdisciplinary approach to motor control and should have expertise in
at least one of the following fields: motor control, biomechanics, dynamic
modeling, motor neuroscience. Experience in programming is expected
(Matlab, C++, Graphics programming, Statistics packages, etc.). He/she is
expected to get involved in existing research projects but is also
encouraged to bring to bear his/her expertise into the research project.

The Action Lab is located in the Department of Biology at Northeastern
University with affiliations to the Department of Electrical and Computer
Engineering and Physics as well as the Center for Interdisciplinary
Research in Complex Systems. Northeastern University is located in the
heart of Boston and we have collaborations with colleagues in other
institutions in the Boston area which provides a stimulating environment
for interdisciplinary research.

Applicants should submit a curriculum vita, including a list of
publications, and two letters of recommendation to be sent to the address
below. To receive full consideration application materials should be
received by February 15, 2009.

Dagmar Sternad
Professor
Departments of Biology, Electrical & Computer Engineering, and Physics
134 Mugar Life Science Building
Northeastern University
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115