[Comp-neuro] Computational principles of sensorimotor learning

Chris Miall r.c.miall at bham.ac.uk
Wed Jan 14 16:17:11 CET 2009

Dear colleagues (with apologies for cross-posting)
We are organizing a workshop for this September, which we hope you will
find interesting. Please see below for details, and please also forward
this email to members of your research team, other collaborators, etc.
Regards,
Joern Diedrichsen, Chris Miall and Daniel Wolpert

  Computational principles of sensorimotor learning

/September 13-15 2009//
Kloster Irsee, Germany/

The aim of this two-day workshop is to bring together researchers from
human motor control, robotics, and other disciplines to discuss new
trends in the area of computational motor control. The workshop is
funded by the European Science Foundation, within theEuropean Research
Network for Investigating Human Sensorimotor Function in Health and
Disease (ERNI-HSF) under the direction of Stephen Jackson (Nottingham).

To facilitate interactions and discussion the workshop will be
restricted in size and will be held at a conference centre in the
beautiful and historic Kloster Irsee monastery in Southern Germany.

Each of the two workshop days will start with an invited keynote
tutorial by Reza Shadmehr (Johns Hopkins) and Stefan Schaal (USC),
highlighting computational learning mechanisms from error-based learning
or adaptation, imitation to reinforcement learning.

The tutorials will be followed by invited presentations from key
research workers across Europe and the USA. Confirmed speakers are:
Andrew Barto (MIT), David Knill (Rochester), John Krakauer (Columbia),
Maurice Smith (Harvard), Dagmar Sternard (Northeastern), Emo Todorov (UC
San Diego), Jan Peters (Max-Planck Inst, Tuebingen), Sethu Vijayakumar
(Edinburgh), Julia Trommershaeuser (Giessen), Jeroen Smeets (Vrije
Universiteit), Daniel Brown (Freiburg), Etienne Burdet (Imperial
College), Joern Diedrichsen (Bangor), Chris Miall (Birmingham) and
Daniel Wolpert (Cambridge).

There will also be open presentations and posters. All participants are
encouraged to submit abstracts for poster presentations. Four abstracts
will be selected by the organizers as oral presentations.

Please see the workshop website for further details of the program and
for on-line registration etc.

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~pss412/Irsee/index.html

We are now accepting abstracts and registrations for the meeting. The
submission deadline is* 1st of March, 2009*.

We look forward to seeing you in Kloster Irsee in September.

Joern Diedrichsen, Chris Miall and Daniel Wolpert

Professor R.C. Miall
Behavioural Brain Sciences            Tel +44 121 414 2867
School of Psychology,                 Fax +44 121 414 4897
University of Birmingham,             Mobile: 07815 296483
Edgbaston,                     Email: r.c.miall at bham.ac.uk
Birmingham B15 2TT UK         Web: http://prism.bham.ac.uk