[Comp-neuro] postdoctoral position in computational neuroscience: open immediately

Ila Fiete ilafiete at caltech.edu
Sun Feb 22 18:23:05 CET 2009

Available immediately: a postdoctoral position lasting up to 3 years in
computational neuroscience in the Fiete group at the Institute for
Neuroscience, University of Texas at Austin.

Our group explores various questions about computation in the brain: the
role of stochasticity in limiting the accuracy of neural computation,
noise as a tool for learning, graded persistent activity, neural
integration, and the efficacy of neural codes (as they pertain to
learning, information storage and transmission). We address these issues
through simulation and theory, in the study of systems well-constrained
by data from electrophysiology and behavior. Systems include song
production in songbirds, olfaction in insects, and navigation in
rodents. The work will involve interactions with experimental
neuroscience colleagues.

Environment: The Institute for Neuroscience consists of about 75 faculty
members in a collaborative environment. Represented departments include
biology, electrical and computer engineering, physics, mathematics,
chemistry, and psychology. Austin is a wonderful city for music and the
outdoors. For more information, please see
http://www.klab.caltech.edu/~ila/ and http://www.clm.utexas.edu/ and
http://www.utexas.edu/neuroscience/.

To Apply: Applicants must have a record of research excellence, with
strong analytical training and a Ph.D. in Physics, Mathematics,
Computational Neuroscience, Computer Science, or Engineering.

Please email fiete at mail.clm.utexas.edu with 1) a CV or resume, 2) a
statement of past research, 3) a statement of future research interests,
and 4) the names of three references. Applications will be considered on
a rolling basis once all material is received.

I will be at Cosyne 2009, and can arrange to meet there with interested
candidates.