[Comp-neuro] CNS workshop “Python in Neuroscience”: call for participation

Romain Brette romain.brette at ens.fr
Fri Feb 20 17:36:45 CET 2009

We wish to announce the workshop “Python in Neuroscience”, to be held at
the CNS’09 conference in Berlin, made possible by generous support from
the European Union under the Bio-inspired Intelligent Information
Systems program, project reference IST- 2004-15879 (FACETS,
www.facets-project.org), and by the Bernstein Center for Computational
Neuroscience (BCCN), Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg, Germany
(www.bccn.uni-freiburg.de).

Python is rapidly becoming the de facto standard language for systems
integration. Python has a large user and developer-base external to the
neuroscience community, and a vast module library that facilitates rapid
and maintainable development of complex and intricate systems. In this
workshop, we highlight efforts to develop Python modules for the domain
of neuroscience software and neuroinformatics. Moreover, we seek to
provide a representative overview of existing mature Python modules for
neuroscience and neuroinformatics, to demonstrate a critical mass and
show that Python is an appropriate choice of interpreter interface for
future neuroscience software development.

There will be tutorial & demo sessions where visitors with laptops can
install and get introduced and acquainted with Python and the various
software. A preliminary program can be found on the CNS web site:
http://www.cnsorg.org/2009/workshops.shtml

The workshop will include several sessions of lightning talks
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Talk), which are 5 minutes talks
on any subject relevant to Python for neuroscience. Please send us an
abstract proposal by email (romain.brette at ens.fr) if you are interested
in giving such a talk. It could be about your own personal software
contribution or about your experience with an existing Python module or
tool that you think could be relevant for neuroscience. We will select a
limited number of abstracts from the submissions. The deadline for
submission is April 30th.

We look forward to seeing you in Berlin.

Eilif Muller, Jens Kremkow, Andrew Davison and Romain Brette