[Comp-neuro] Brian 1.1: a pure Python neural simulator

Romain Brette romain.brette at ens.fr
Tue Feb 3 15:55:45 CET 2009

Brian 1.1: a pure Python neural simulator
-------------------------------------
http:// www.briansimulator.org
https://sourceforge.net/projects/brian/

The 1.1 release of Brian is out!

Brian is a simulator for spiking neural networks available on almost all
platforms. The motivation for this project is that a simulator should
not only save the time of processors, but also the time of scientists.
Brian is easy to learn and use, highly flexible and easily extensible.
The Brian package itself and simulations using it are all written in the
Python programming language, which is an easy, concise and highly
developed language with many advanced features and development tools,
excellent documentation and a large community of users providing support
and extension packages. This makes Brian an excellent choice for teaching.

New features in version 1.1:
* spike-timing-dependent plasticity
* short-term plasticity
* heterogeneous delays

Brian is being developed by Romain Brette (romain at briansimulator.org)
and Dan Goodman (dan at briansimulator.org).

The web site (http://www.briansimulator.org) contains installation
instructions and the documentation. Many examples are provided in the
distribution (don’t forget to download the extras.zip file). There is
also a public forum where you can ask any questions:
http://groups.google.fr/group/briansupport

We take this opportunity to announce that we are seeking collaborators
to help us with the Brian project. More details here:
http://www.briansimulator.org/join.html
We would also be very glad if happy Brian users could send us a short
email to tell us what they use Brian for, and we could link to them on
our web site.

Romain Brette
http://www.di.ens.fr/~brette
romain.brette at ens.fr