[Comp-neuro] Workshop on olfactory learning and memory in insects

Jan Wessnitzer jwessnit at staffmail.ed.ac.uk
Thu Apr 30 17:38:53 CEST 2009

Olfactory learning and memory in insects: from experiments to models

We are pleased to announce that we are organising a workshop on
Olfactory Learning and Memory in Insects (July 22nd-23rd) at the
Eighteenth Annual Computational Neuroscience Meeting CNS*2009 (July
18th ? 23rd 2009, Berlin, Germany).

http://www.cnsorg.org/2009/

Further details are provided below. If you have any questions or
require further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Please spread the word among your colleagues.

-------------------------------

Scope of the Workshop

http://www.cnsorg.org/2009/workshops.shtml

The neural circuit underlying insect olfaction and olfactory
associative learning is anatomically and physiologically well-studied,
calling for detailed computational models, which then can be
challenged by the available knowledge of insect olfactory behaviour.
We aim to facilitate this process by bringing together the researchers
from the experimental and theoretical sides. After an overview of the
anatomy and the electrophysiology of the insect olfactory pathway, we
will discuss the available models pertaining to this circuit; such
discussion will be extended to pheromone processing as well. We will
then consider the key behavioural phenomena, which such models need to
account for- e.g. effects of odour-similarity, processing of
odour-mixtures. We will evaluate the current knowledge on the sites
and kinds of synaptic plasticity along the olfactory pathway as well
as the available computational models.
Finally, we will discuss the key behavioural phenomena, which need to
be accounted for: effects of event-timing, memory dynamics, role of
outcome expectation and motivation.

Program:
This workshop focuses on key issues in olfactory learning and memory
research. Our aim is to bring together researchers from the
experimental and theoretical fields investigating the functioning of
insect olfactory systems. Our goal is to identify the key questions
motivating interdisciplinary research, to map the range of theoretical
frameworks, empirical techniques and technologies currently used, and
to bring together theoretical and experimental researchers
investigating insect olfaction. We want to address our research
questions through conventional short presentations by invited keynote
speakers, selected workshop participants, discussion/poster sessions.
We encourage demonstrations of computer simulations giving the
participants opportunities to use and evaluate these systems under the
guidance of the designers.

-------------------------------

Organizers

A. Yarali (MaxPlanck Institute for Neurobiology, Martinstried, Germany)

J. Wessnitzer (University of Edinburgh, UK)

-------------------------------

Abstract submission

If you wish to present a poster or give a talk, please send your abstract to

	Ayse Yarali
  	yarali at neuro.mpg.de

	and

	Jan Wessnitzer
	jwessnit at inf.ed.ac.uk

-------------------------------

Important Dates

- Registration deadlines for CNS

	http://www.cnsorg.org/2009/dates.shtml

Contact

A. Yarali (MaxPlanck Institute for Neurobiology, Martinstried, Germany)
yarali at neuro.mpg.de

J. Wessnitzer (University of Edinburgh, UK)
jwessnit at inf.ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.