[Comp-neuro] paper announcement

Kilian Koepsell kilian at berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 17 01:51:14 CEST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to announce two papers we recently published that use
quantitative approaches to assess the role of oscillations in
transmitting neural information. The first one describes a method that
we developed to measure the information carried by oscillating spike
trains.  The second takes advantage of our new method to show how
retinal oscillations are able to transmit visual signals downstream.
Specifically, we show that spike trains of single ganglion cells
multiplex two streams of information.  In addition to the traditional
channel that uses rate coding, we discovered a separate channel that
uses spike timing relative to gamma oscillations to convey
information.  This second channel could as much as triple the amount
of information transmitted to the cortex. We hope that these results
contribute to the previous discussions of the role of oscillations in
neural coding and look forward to receiving comments and suggestions.

Koepsell K, Sommer FT (2008) Information transmission in oscillatory
neural activity.
Biol Cybern  99:403–416 http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00422-008-0273-6

Abstract:
Periodic neural activity not locked to the stimulus or to motor
and quantifying the information transmission based on periodic neural
activity that occurs with quasi-random phase relative to the stimulus.
We propose a model to reproduce characteristic features of oscillatory
spike trains, such as histograms of inter-spike intervals and phase
locking of spikes to an oscillatory influence. The proposed model is
based on an inhomogeneous Gamma process governed by a density function
that is a product of the usual stimulus-dependent rate and a quasi-
periodic function. Further, we present an analysis method generalizing
the direct method (Rieke et al. in Spikes: exploring the neural code.
MIT Press, Cambridge, 1999; Brenner et al. in Neural Comput 12(7):1531–
1552, 2000) to assess the information content in such data. We
demonstrate these tools on recordings from relay cells in the lateral
geniculate nucleus of the cat.

Koepsell K, Wang X, Vaingankar V, Wei Y, Wang Q, Rathbun DL, Usrey W,
Hirsch J and Sommer FT (2009)
Retinal oscillations carry visual information to cortex. Front Syst
Neurosci 3:4 http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/neuro.06.004.2009

Abstract:
Thalamic relay cells fire action potentials that transmit information
from retina to cortex. The amount of information that spike trains
encode is usually estimated from the precision of spike timing with
respect to the stimulus. Sensory input, however, is only one factor
that influences neural activity. For example, intrinsic dynamics, such
as oscillations of networks of neurons, also modulate firing pattern.
Here, we asked if retinal oscillations might help to convey
information to neurons downstream. Specifically, we made whole-cell
recordings from relay cells to reveal retinal inputs (EPSPs) and
thalamic outputs (spikes) and then analyzed these events with
information theory. Our results show that thalamic spike trains
operate as two multiplexed channels. One channel, which occupies a low
frequency band (<30 Hz), is encoded by average firing rate with
respect to the stimulus and carries information about local changes in
the visual field over time. The other operates in the gamma frequency
band (40-80 Hz) and is encoded by spike timing relative to retinal
oscillations. At times, the second channel conveyed even more
information than the first. Because retinal oscillations involve
extensive networks of ganglion cells, it is likely that the second
channel transmits information about global features of the visual scene.

--
Kilian Koepsell, PhD
Redwood Center for Theoretical Neuroscience