[Comp-neuro] Calcium Spikes Concluded

Harry Erwin harry.erwin at sunderland.ac.uk
Tue Sep 9 13:16:07 CEST 2008

My thanks to Andreas Schaefer for pointing me at Rhodes and Llinas
(2005) "A model of thalamocortical relay cells", J Physio, 565.4:
765-781, which is an excellent study of the question. Their model
appears to be good at describing what we also see in inferior
colliculus rebound neurones, raising the question of why this single
neurone type lends itself to two different functions. (IC rebound
neurones seem to measure time intervals between sounds--we get
remarkable duration hyperacuity in bats--on the order of 100
nanoseconds measured behaviourally by multiple labs. Jim Simmons has
indicated about 10 nanoseconds <http://books.nips.cc/papers/txt/nips02/0002.txt
 >, but that value is subject to argument.) Perhaps the two types of
neurones aren't really different in what they do.

--
Harry Erwin, PhD, Senior Lecturer of Computing, University of
Sunderland. Computational neuroethologist: