[Comp-neuro] Development, Evolution and Learning (was) Discussion - Kuhn - and brief comments

Mario Negrello mnegrello at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 11:17:03 CEST 2008

> Asim said:
> On the "blank slate" idea in ANN, just look at the phenomenon of
> adult neurogenesis. Our adult brains generate new cells in the
> thousands on a daily basis and they are part of the "blank slate"
> because they don't come with ready-made connections or anything. The
> process that you refer to as "development probably recapitulating
> evolutionary history" is called "learning" in ANN. It's that process
> that constructs networks out of these new cells and makes them
> operational.

I guess that this varies with your level of analysis. Developmental
recapitulation of evolutionary history is about major brain
development, hubs and tracts and gross architecture, those features
that are morphologically conspicuous in the brain. Learning is
different, it's fine tuning, when an already functional brain develops
further functionality by interacting with a complex environment.
Moreover, as was pointed out by Cottrell, the new neurons you mention
do not sprout anywhere, but presumably, noly where there is a reason
or a function for them to do. One of the stories i know about new
neurons being generated relates to communication behavior in fish.
Fish that produce aggressive calls, grow new cells to make their calls
more potent. This was solidly shown in:

Dunlap, K.D., et al 2006. Social interaction and cortisol treatment
increase cell addition and radial glia fiber density in the
diencephalic periventricular zone of adult electric fish, Apteronotus
leptorhynchus, Hormones & Behavior 50:10-17.

So, between cell addition and brain development there is a
considerable distance. I do not suppose that by explaining mechanisms
of learning, we shall also understand the functional entailments of
particular architectures.

For instance, Eugene Izhikevich in a talk in 'Dynamical Systems in
Neuroscience' at the NYU in June 2008 (if memory serves me right),
showed the last output of his mega brain model. The model has the
gross architecture of a human brain as seen through DTI (diffusion
tensor imaging), and the microarchitecture derived from rats and cats.
What surprised me in terms of the results, was that he claimed that
frequencies measured from the model resembled those known from their
correspodent areas of the brain. Alpha in V1, Theta in hippocampus,
and others.
I take that to mean that many functional capabilities of the brain
will be effectively only learneable if the proper architecture is
there. Else, if it were only learning, there would be little reason
for a cat to be unable to learn the things a human does.

Surely, one can draw analogies from evolution, through development,
until learning.  One can amalgamate all and say that they are all
'metastable adaptations', or something. But so far, the clear
divisions that appear between the study of each, are fully justified:
we need theories for each. For all, later. Learning needs its story as
much as development.

Gruss,

M.