[Comp-neuro] NIPS 08 Workshop - Dec 13 - Cortical Microcircuits - Whistler

James Schwaber schwaber at mail.dbi.tju.edu
Wed Oct 15 20:53:48 CEST 2008

Hi Terry -

This looks like it will be a fascinating workshop, and I have wondered
about several of these topics. Is the premise of the first issue true,
that thalamic inputs 'dominate' the cortex. My understanding is that
this is not obvious with naturalistic sensory input, for example. The
question of a canonical circuit likewise seems open to point of view,
with computational types rounding and lumping to get one and aficionados
of specific neural systems splitting functional processing specifically.
Is dendritic computation relevant to your top down gain effects
question, and how does it affect interpretation of neural processing as
electrical I/O? In addition to short term plasticity how do we interpret
ongoing, long term, adaptive remodeling in response to environmental inputs?

All the best - Jim