[Comp-neuro] Postdoctoral Positions in Computational/Theoretical Neuroscience at University of Maryland (Washington DC)

Daniel A. Butts dab2024 at med.cornell.edu
Thu Nov 13 15:13:27 CET 2008

Applications are invited for up to two postdoctoral positions in the
Neuroscience Theory Research Group of Dan Butts at the University of
Maryland.  Our research is focused on linking observable
neurophysiology to systems-level function of sensory pathways, and
involves a diversity of analysis and computational work, much of which
is in close collaboration with experimental research labs.  Initial
projects will be based around studies of single neuron and population
activity at multiple stages of the visual pathway in the context of
“natural” stimuli.  See our website for a full research description
and representative approaches: http://physiology.med.cornell.edu/people/butts/

The NeuroTheory Lab is housed in the new Biosciences Research Building
in the Department of Biology at UM, and part of the much larger
multidisciplinary neuroscience community (NACS) comprised of over 100
research groups in departments ranging from Psychology to Engineering
and Computer Science.  It is set at the center of the UM campus in
suburban Washington DC, and is easily accessible by subway (20 min)
from downtown.

We are looking for researchers with a strong quantitative background
and good understanding of basic neuroscience.  Please submit your
application to Dan Butts at dab at umd.edu: include CV and a brief
statement of research background and interests.  Please also arrange
to have three reference letters sent separately.  The position is
available as soon as January, 2009, and initial appointments will be
for two years with the strong possibility of extension.  Application
review is ongoing and will continue until the positions are filled.

If you will be attending the SFN conference in Washington DC, there
will be opportunities to meet there (as well as become acquainted with
the area) -- please email dab at umd.edu with a CV and any other
available information ASAP.