[Comp-neuro] Nested theta- and beta/gamma-oscillations and neuronal avalanches

Elakkat Dharmaraj Gireesh elakkat at mail.nih.gov
Tue May 27 16:42:54 CEST 2008

Hi

Let me introduce you our recent paper on the nested theta- and
beta/gamma-oscillations and neuronal avalanches. Please take a look if you
are interested.

http://www.pnas. <http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/0800537105v1>
org/cgi/reprint/0800537105v1

1: Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 May 22.

Neuronal avalanches organize as nested theta- and beta/gamma-oscillations
during development of cortical layer 2/3.

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=Search&Term=%22Giree
sh%20ED%22%5BAuthor%5D&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPane
l.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus> Gireesh ED,
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=Search&Term=%22Plenz
%20D%22%5BAuthor%5D&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.P
ubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus> Plenz D.

Laboratory of Systems Neuroscience, National Institute of Mental Health,
9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892.

Maturation of the cerebral cortex involves the spontaneous emergence of
distinct patterns of neuronal synchronization, which regulate neuronal
differentiation, synapse formation, and serve as a substrate for information
processing. The intrinsic activity patterns that characterize the maturation
of cortical layer 2/3 are poorly understood. By using microelectrode array
recordings in vivo and in vitro, we show that this development is marked by
the emergence of nested - and beta/gamma-oscillations that require NMDA- and
GABA(A)-mediated synaptic transmission. The oscillations organized as
neuronal avalanches, i.e., they were synchronized across cortical sites
forming diverse and millisecond-precise spatiotemporal patterns that
distributed in sizes according to a power law with a slope of -1.5. The
correspondence between nested oscillations and neuronal avalanches required
activation of the dopamine D(1) receptor. We suggest that the repetitive
formation of neuronal avalanches provides an intrinsic template for the
selective linking of external inputs to developing superficial layers.

Best regards

Elakkat D. Gireesh

Section on Critical Brain Dynamics

NIMH, NIH