[Comp-neuro] Postdoc: Single Neuron Computation

Sharon Crook Sharon.Crook at asu.edu
Thu Mar 20 21:26:07 CET 2008

We have an opportunity for postdoctoral research in the area
of single neuron computation. This collaborative project in
the labs of Sharon Crook (http://math.asu.edu/~crook) and
Carsten Duch (http://sols.asu.edu/faculty/cduch.php) involves
using computational approaches to investigate the function
of the structural and synaptic remodeling of an insect motoneuron
for its changing behavioral role. We will also test Cajal’s
Neuron Doctrine, which envisions the neuron as the smallest
functional entity, by examining the computational and
functional independence of dendritic sub-domains.

We have a strong interdisciplinary component in neuroscience
training and research at Arizona State University
(http://neuroscience.asu.edu), and the postdoctoral researcher
will also interact with faculty, students and other postdocs
in the Center for Adaptive Neural Systems (http://ans.asu.edu).
This project will provide experience and training in research
design, computational and mathematical approaches, advanced
analysis procedures, and possibly experimental techniques.
Training in computational neuroscience and programming experience
are essential, and experience with NEURON would be beneficial.

For more information, contact Sharon Crook at Arizona State
University (sharon.crook at asu.edu).