[Comp-neuro] New paper on development of neural connectivity with particular functionality

Roman Borisyuk R.Borisyuk at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Jul 24 14:47:32 CEST 2008

New paper "Stochasticity and functionality of neural systems: Mathematical modelling of axon growth in the spinal cord of tadpole" by R. Borisyuk, T. Cook, and A. Roberts has been published in BioSytems, 93, (2008), 101-114.
In this paper we study a simple mathematical model of axon growth in the spinal cord of tadpole. The model is relatively fresh and allows fitting to the experimental measurements. Taking into account experimental data on distribution of cell bodies and dendrites along the spinal cord we generate a biologically realistic architecture of the whole tadpole spinal cord.
Preliminary study of the electrophysiological properties of the model with Morris-Lecar neurons shows that the model can generate electrical activity corresponding to the swimming pattern of the tadpole.

Roman Borisyuk, DSc, PhD
Professor of Computational Neuroscience
Centre for Theoretical and Computational Neuroscience
University of Plymouth
A224, Portland Sq
Plymouth, PL4 8AA
UK