[Fwd: Re: [Comp-neuro] Noise, redundancy and biophysics]

jim bower reinoud at castafiore.cde.ua.ac.be
Thu Jul 24 11:07:52 CEST 2008

Subject: Re: [Comp-neuro] Noise, redundancy and biophysics
From:    "jim bower" <bower at uthscsa.edu>
Date:    Wed, July 23, 2008 7:49 pm
To:      "Sacha Nelson" <nelson at brandeis.edu>
         comp-neuro at neuroinf.org

Not clear that the climbing fiber has any real significance for the output
of the cell. For its neutron bomb effect on the dendrite, it produces 1 or
2 spikes as output.

My own view is that it is mostly a dendritic phenominon and also has
nothing to do with learning.

Yes, small cells with no dendrites do something different than large cells
with big dendrites,  but even the neurons in nucleus lamineris are not
well understood.

Granule cells have small dendrites, but they stick into a glomerulous
which is likely enormously complex.

So, generally speaking, generic neuronal processing isn't likely to be
found anywhere when you look closely.

I am reminded of the first neural network meeting I attended in 1984 at
the miramar hotel in Santa Barbara. In fact it was the second meeting of
the modern era. And the room was abuzz with talk of the  hopfield network
and traveling salesman (and spin glasses). I was asked numerous time if
there were Hopfield networks in the brain. What I said was no, and
therefore it was very likely that artificial neural networks would have to
get much more complex and messy to do anything practically interesting.
This opinion was definately not well received as the elegance of the
Hopfield network, its energy functional, and link to well known theory
were seductive properties, and physicists hate complexity. ---  25 years
later. - you be the judge.

;-)

Jim
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T