[Comp-neuro] Oscillations

Harry Erwin harry.erwin at sunderland.ac.uk
Wed Jul 23 12:47:49 CEST 2008

An issue I've been thinking about recently is the evidence that goal-
oriented plans can be replayed at various speeds and in both forward
and time-reversed directions. In goal-directed behaviour of bats, the
animal first plans ahead to the target capture (or perhaps retrieves
an appropriate plan from memory). Then later during the capture
process, if the target turns out to be inedible, the bat will sheer
off as late as 30 msec prior to contact. I guestimate that the
original capture plan was generated or retrieved in about 5% of the
time necessary to execute it, and the back propagation through time of
revised reward estimates takes place in about the same time. I suspect
the plan is represented as a set of discrete intermediate subgoals,
and that there is an oscillatory process that steps through the
subgoals to replay the plan. Chip Levy's evidence about sharp waves
during sleep suggests some mechanisms that would allow the speed and
direction of the process to be varied.

--
"an academic who listens to pleas of convenience before publishing his
research risks calling into doubt the whole of his determination to