[Comp-neuro] Review announcement

G. Bard Ermentrout bard at math.pitt.edu
Tue Jul 22 21:22:43 CEST 2008

For what it is worth - I have puzzled over the ubiquity of oscillations in
the CNS and still wonder what they are good for. Jim and others argue
epiphenomena, and this could still be correct, but it is real hard for me
to believe that nature would ignore a free byproduct like this.  One thing
about oscillations is that they have associated with them a zero
eigenvalue at the single cell, microcircuit or other level and what this
does is it makes it very eay to modulate the timing of their spikes. Much
more so than with fixed points. Thus it very easy from the point of view
of efficiency to move the spikes around in sych a way as to e.g. compute
correlations via the stochastic synchrony mechanism and thus propagate
feedfoward synchronous or correlated activity to other areas or layers.
Synchrony or near synchrony is very efficient at propagating in
feedforward networks.  Oscillations make it real easy to read out
correlations and also make it very easy to quickly desynchronize groups
with simple modulation of their intrinsic dynamaics - e.g. ACh  which can
greatly affect how a neuron responds to the timing of an input and to
other neurons to which it is attached.

>From Rome with one vino too many,

bard Ermentrout