[Comp-neuro] Review announcement

jim bower bower at uthscsa.edu
Tue Jul 22 19:26:48 CEST 2008

What is the evidence the brain uses redundency?  How do you refine redundency?  Is a 1024 x 1024 screen redundent because some pixals sometimes carry the same image (depending on the image being portrayed). And what are the consequences for all of our ideas about the brain that most of the neuronal data we have is in response to impoverished stimuli in anesthetized animals who otherwise are mostly bred in captivity and themselves live impoverished lives?

We have never built anything near the complexity or capabilty of any brain I know, how can our understanding of the systems we can engineer have any hope of revealing the nature of the neural code.

By the way if cryptographers were as fast to declare the signals they look at as statistical noise, they would be out of a job.

Jim
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T