[Comp-neuro] Re: [D] dignity and the brain as an an engineering problem

James Schwaber schwaber at mail.dbi.tju.edu
Thu Aug 28 20:23:01 CEST 2008

This is a mistake - I presented the idea (that you have to understand a
process analytically before you can use it) as a so-called
'science-technology fallacy', not as my view. Biomedical science, e.g.
as funded by NIH, is more health goals oriented than seeking
understanding for its own sake. In the case of the brain, however,
perhaps understanding it might lend insight to some of the big questions
that float around this thread. Nonetheless, my point was that technical
development would be the expected path to understanding rather than the
reverse.

To the extent we can predict the weather so far that has not lead to its
control, for example. It appears to me that we are poor at predicting
functional consequences or trajectories of brain process-disease, and
progress here would be a pretty good achievement, for openers!

The "we" could mean mankind, or neuroscientists, or physicians who treat
brain - and the question was whether successful technologies can be
developed (by any of these)  independent of first understanding the brain.