[Comp-neuro] The sniffing brain - and free will

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 07:57:32 CEST 2008

On Saturday 16 August 2008, Ali Minai wrote:
> I really like your sniffing brain approach. I am convinced that most
> - probably all - of what we consider learning is achieved through
> relatively simple changes in networks of multi-scale modules (that
> dreaded word!:-) configured by evolution and instantiated by
> development. The tabula on which learning occurs is anything but
> rasa. Systems biology is teaching us every day that organisms are
> much more lego-like than we thought. Why should the brain be an
> exception? And evolutionary biology shows us that more complex
> organisms arise more by multiplying, modifying, ramifying,
> rearranging and subsuming existing modules than by creating brand new
> ones from scratch. Then why should we not expect a human brain
> generating human behavior to be very similar to a rat or a lamprey
> brain generating those animals' behaviors - just more complexified
> through the processes I listed above? We implicitly acknowledge this
<snip>

Are there any projects like APT, emerge or yum and other lego-like
dependency systems for the work in computational neuroscience? I figure
it would help mirror the evolutionary developments in a way that is
computationally tractable -- perhaps more tractable than throwing our
tabula rasas at each other ;-).

- Bryan