[Comp-neuro] Orwell's definition of the Temporal Window

Malcolm Dean malcolmdean at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 01:34:02 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 10:19 AM, anibalmastobiza at terra.es <
anibalmastobiza at terra.es> wrote:

> But for me Libet´s attempts to consider free will as an ilussion fail. Not
> only LIbet himself recognize a "veto" power, *a temporal window in which
> the subject could stop what he intend to do*, 0,2 seconds before the
> action...

http://www.newspeakdictionary.com/
Crimestop - "The faculty of stopping short, as though by instinct, at the
threshold of any dangerous thought. It includes the power of not grasping
analogies, of failing to perceive logical errors, of misunderstanding the
simplest arguments if they are inimical to Ingsoc, and of being bored or
repelled by any train of thought which is capable of leading in a heretical
direction. In short....protective stupidity."

--
Malcolm Dean
Research Affiliate, Human Complex Systems, UCLA

Recent Lectures/Publications:
"The Gods Have Spoken: Descartes Must Die!" Yale IRST/SAC, March 21, 2008
"Cognition in Materiality," UCI HSC, January 12, 2008
"From Cosmogenesis to Extended Cognition," UCLA HCS, November 7, 2007
"Exorcising Entropy," SCTPLS, Orange, July 29, 2007
"Hitchhiker's Guide to (Cognitive) Thermodynamics," UCLA BRI, May 21, 2007
"Theology of Information," EOR, Hawaii, January 5, 2007
"Outline of Cognitive Thermodynamics," SCTPLS, Denver, August 5, 2005
"Cognitive Thermodynamics in Culture & Religion," SSSR, Kansas City, Oct 22,
2004
"General Theory of Cognitive Systems," UCLA BRI, May 13, 2004
Los Angeles Times, Op-Ed, April 8, 2004
DesktopLinux.com, O'Reilly.com
www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/228
Former News Editor, Maximum Linux, XML Journal
Former Principal Editor, Academic Computing, UCLA