[Comp-neuro] Discussion - religion

Davi Geiger geiger at cs.nyu.edu
Mon Aug 25 15:14:10 CEST 2008

I see your main point about religion, and could not agree more, but I don’t understand what you say below:

“…I have said before, in my view, any theory of cognition that denies the relevance of neurons is by definition duelist. Once you accept duelism, then anything is fair game, including "
deeper evolutionary causality" which I assume is another way of saying "directed design."

It seems to me you are being dogmatic here. How can you say “in my view” when you are giving a definition of duelist? Are you saying, this is “YOUR” definition of duelist? And if it is, why does *this definition* imply “direct design” is plausible? I thought the problem of “direct design” is that it does not add anything to the understanding of things, i.e., by adding a layer of “I don’t know” (with a label of “G did it” ) to explain things  does not mean we learn anything about how things seems to work, it does not provide any new insights, does not simplify things, nor gives new predictions into the problem one is trying to understand. Again, by saying “I don’t know” as an explanation of things we don’t know, it does not really add anything, so it is better to say “we don’t know” not as an explanation but suggesting there is work to be done.  However, theoretical models of how an information systems process sense data, without mentioning neurons, is a well defined problem that has many researchers working on. Results may even help understand how neurons process sense data (of course, understanding neurons is not questioned here and the potential to learn how systems process information …) . But, if you don’t want to call this study cognition, than yes, it is your “view’ of what cognition is. I would however, remark that you seem to like the idea of Kolmogorov complexity, and this is exactly a result in a general sense about information,  without making any reference to neurons.  Study of perception via modeling without considering “neurons”  is also. I would also point out that you like to use Physics as a reference (which makes sense), and general relativity when was created made no direct references to atoms or particles (though of course after some point the “hunt” for gravitons or more modern string stuff became an active research topic).  The point again is, while I appreciate very much most of what you say …. I also see some dogmatism …

Finally, a general remark, in some sense in agreement with something else you said about intuitions: I think mathematics is different than science, so one should be careful with analogies to math. Math is a language, not a science, it does not attempt to model real phenomena, but rather to be a language to describe objects and relations that we believe are important to model the real world. So physics and all sciences, I believe, *must* at the end be written in math (including discrete stuff, algorithms, statistics, …). Of course, the people that create math are “people” like the ones that make science (and anything else) so of course the way we all work is quite similar ….  So a slight difference appears when mathematicians claim intuition to explain a proof, it is understood that one can PROVE that intuition to be right or wrong, one does not need to go in the real world to check, but rather, one must write down the full proof to test. There are other differences …

Best regards

-Davi

Associate professor of computer science, NYU