[Comp-neuro] Re: Attractors, variability and noise

Walter Read read at csufresno.edu
Thu Aug 21 20:51:59 CEST 2008

   Just a couple notes in response to Jim's comment.

> Obviously, the question of what we can and can't understand as
> individuals, or groups of individuals is somewhere near the core of
> this discussion.  Many would claim, as Brad does here, that of
> necessity our descriptions of things (brains) can not exceed the
> ability of humans to communicate what they understand.

      First, the issue of "communicability" isn't the same as the issue of "complexity". We
constantly deal with systems that are too complex to allow any micro description to reliably
predict global behavior - the Roman Empire, crop forecasts, choosing American Idol. For
perhaps a more familiar example than Mirage jets, Windows XP ran to about 40 million lines
of code and Vista goes closer to 65 million. (I mentioned these numbers in a class once and
afterwards a student came up, apparently genuinely disturbed. "Really?" "Yes." "Gee, then I
guess Bill Gates *doesn't* read every line before software is released!") But this doesn't mean
we can't generally make policy or predictions based on our collective, imperfect
understandings. And any particular failure can usually be traced back to a particular place.

   Second, communicability is cultural and historical. At one time, notions like gravity or
unbounded space or limitations on the speed of light would have been considered
"paradoxical". We still refer metaphorically to "the fixed stars" and "sunrise" but most people
have a basic idea of the later ideas and can imagine and think about a heliocentric world. Our
ability to form new ways of thinking grows much more slowly than our ability to generate
data but it does grow, in response to the efforts of those who explain the ideas or show their
everyday usefulness, those who might be called storytellers. (Cf Galileo's popular writings
and John Donne's early poetry.)

   The information systems people distinguish "data" and "information". The data is
fundamental but it has to get translated into news we can use.

-Walt

Walt Read
Computer Science, MS ST 109
CSU, Fresno