[Comp-neuro] Re: Reproducability, Funding, and a note on hippocampus

james bower bower at uthscsa.edu
Wed Aug 20 18:46:09 CEST 2008

> PS. Referencing and earlier topic: Hippocampus
>

> But hippocampus is a place where there has been a tremendous success
> in the interaction of theory, modeling, and experiment.

At the CNS meeting in Edinburg Scotland, a couple of years ago - I
walked down the line of hippocampal modeling posters and suggested to
each P.I. that it would be wonderful next year, if they could all
merge their models into one - and start working from one base.  The
process of merger alone would be an historical event likely generating
many insights.  Given the success (and focus) on the hippocampus, this
seemed an obvious next step to me - there were, of course, all kinds
of excuses offered for why this shouldn't / couldn't be done.  (me
work with him?  are you kidding?)

Unfortunate, given that I agree, the Hippocampus provides a wonderful
opportunity for moving the infrastructure of computational
neuroscience forward -- in addition, in Roger Traubs efforts, you have
one of the first serious efforts to build a realistic network model -
unfortunately still, I understand, in Fortran, but never-the-less a
great base of work and thought.

With respect to lone-wolfism -- human reproductive strategy will
always push us in that direction -- and, certainly, there have been
and continue to be many lone wolfs in physics -- however, an entire
field whose structure is based on rewards for lone wolfs, confronted
with the task we are confronted with - makes no sense to me.  How do
you know a real lone wolf from one who simply has rabies?

Jim

> - -----------------------------------------------------
> A. David Redish         redish at umn.edu
> Associate Professor     http://umn.edu/~redish/
> Department of Neuroscience, University of Minnesota
> - -----------------------------------------------------

==================================

Dr. James M. Bower Ph.D.

Professor of Computational Neuroscience

Research Imaging Center
University of Texas Health Science Center -
-  San Antonio
8403 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio Texas  78284-6240

Main Number:  210- 567-8100
Fax: 210 567-8152
Mobile:  210-382-0553

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE:
The contents of this email and any attachments to it may be privileged
or
contain privileged and confidential information. This information is
only
for the viewing or use of the intended recipient. If you have received
this
e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of, or the taking of
any
action in reliance upon, any of the information contained in this e-
mail, or
any of the attachments to this e-mail, is strictly prohibited and that
this
e-mail and all of the attachments to this e-mail, if any, must be
immediately returned to the sender or destroyed and, in either case,
this
e-mail and all attachments to this e-mail must be immediately deleted
from
your computer without making any copies hereof and any and all hard
copies
made must be destroyed. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please
notify the sender by e-mail immediately.