[Comp-neuro] Modelling Philosophy

james bower bower at uthscsa.edu
Wed Aug 20 18:23:53 CEST 2008

That's great -- I like the idea of the "sense of free will", which, of
course, I have too.

The truth, on the other hand is likely something else.

I would refer everyone to the wonderful book by Valentino Braitenberg
titled "Vehicles: experiments in synthetic psychology" whose early
chapters make an important point about how easy it is to deceive the
brain into imagining complexity where there isn't any -- the opposite
also applies of course.  The conclusion again -- one has to reference
the actual physical system that generates the behavior to know what is
really going on.

Jim

On Aug 20, 2008, at 2:52 AM, Harry Erwin wrote:

> I'm concerned with modelling M-systems. Conceptually for me, an M-
> system is a system that maintains a model of its environment and
> uses that model to assess the current value of actions leading to
> future rewards and penalties. Those assessments are used to choose
> actions following some rule. The model of the environment need only
> have sufficient detail to support action assessment, and there are a
> number of possible ways that multiple rewards and penalties might be
> integrated into the value of an action.
>
> Free-living eukaryotic cells embody M-systems, as do primitive
> neurons in nerve nets, and as do brains. (My standard example of an
> M-system is an echolocating bat hunting its dinner.) The complexity
> of an M-system seems to reflect a number of evolutionary processes
> concerned with the number and types of actions evaluated, how
> multiple rewards and penalties are integrated into the value of an
> action, how actions are chosen, and whether actions are integrated
> into plans. In humans, the mind (a complex M-system) appears to
> engage in a dialogue with the future to value actions and plans, and
> that loopy interaction with a space of possible futures that
> responds actively to plans and actions underlies the sense of free
> will.
>
> I prefer to model brains as systems of neurone models. I do this
> because I don't think we understand M-systems well enough to model
> them in the abstract. By sticking fairly close to the biology and
> considering evolutionary processes, I think we are sufficiently
> constrained by reality to characterise at least some M-systems.
>
> --
> "an academic who listens to pleas of convenience before publishing
> his research risks calling into doubt the whole of his determination
> to find the truth." (Russell 1993)
> Harry Erwin

==================================

Dr. James M. Bower Ph.D.

Professor of Computational Neuroscience

Research Imaging Center
University of Texas Health Science Center -
-  San Antonio
8403 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio Texas  78284-6240

Main Number:  210- 567-8100
Fax: 210 567-8152
Mobile:  210-382-0553

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE:
The contents of this email and any attachments to it may be privileged
or
contain privileged and confidential information. This information is
only
for the viewing or use of the intended recipient. If you have received
this
e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of, or the taking of
any
action in reliance upon, any of the information contained in this e-
mail, or
any of the attachments to this e-mail, is strictly prohibited and that
this
e-mail and all of the attachments to this e-mail, if any, must be
immediately returned to the sender or destroyed and, in either case,
this
e-mail and all attachments to this e-mail must be immediately deleted
from
your computer without making any copies hereof and any and all hard
copies
made must be destroyed. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please
notify the sender by e-mail immediately.