[Comp-neuro] "realistic models" and Computational Electrophysiology

Andrei Olifer aolifer at emory.edu
Wed Aug 20 14:25:49 CEST 2008

Hi,

A research area concerned with the development of realistic neuronal
models in my view would gain if named more specifically than
"computational neuroscience".
I would call it computational electrophysiology; this term is already
used, mostly by cardiologists.
The appreciation of the intrinsic connection with the classical
electrophysiology immediately clarifies the discussed perspectives,
limitations, and training in this research area, as well as its relation
to theoretical neuroscience.

Using well-established realistic neuronal models is a different story.

Best regards,
Andrey

Andrei Olifer (Andrey Olypher)
Biology Department