[Comp-neuro] Modelling Philosophy

Harry Erwin harry.erwin at sunderland.ac.uk
Wed Aug 20 09:52:35 CEST 2008

I'm concerned with modelling M-systems. Conceptually for me, an M-
system is a system that maintains a model of its environment and uses
that model to assess the current value of actions leading to future
rewards and penalties. Those assessments are used to choose actions
following some rule. The model of the environment need only have
sufficient detail to support action assessment, and there are a number
of possible ways that multiple rewards and penalties might be
integrated into the value of an action.

Free-living eukaryotic cells embody M-systems, as do primitive neurons
in nerve nets, and as do brains. (My standard example of an M-system
is an echolocating bat hunting its dinner.) The complexity of an M-
system seems to reflect a number of evolutionary processes concerned
with the number and types of actions evaluated, how multiple rewards
and penalties are integrated into the value of an action, how actions
are chosen, and whether actions are integrated into plans. In humans,
the mind (a complex M-system) appears to engage in a dialogue with the
future to value actions and plans, and that loopy interaction with a
space of possible futures that responds actively to plans and actions
underlies the sense of free will.

I prefer to model brains as systems of neurone models. I do this
because I don't think we understand M-systems well enough to model
them in the abstract. By sticking fairly close to the biology and
considering evolutionary processes, I think we are sufficiently
constrained by reality to characterise at least some M-systems.

--
"an academic who listens to pleas of convenience before publishing his
research risks calling into doubt the whole of his determination to