[Comp-neuro] The sniffing brain and free will.

jim bower bower at uthscsa.edu
Sat Aug 16 15:26:50 CEST 2008

The argument that the computational structure that provides the basis for computation in the cerebral cortex was "invented" by the olfactory system, is an evolutionary argument, not a chauvanistic argument. My own choice to study the olfactory system was made based on the likely evolutionary importance of the olfactory system with respect to the structure and function of cerebral cortex.

With respect to top side theories of knowledge, and cognitive neuroscience in general, they seem to me to be largely indistinguishable from what ptolomy did. Phenominological models, that are fundamentally duelist in nature in that they deny the need to be fundamentlly grounded in the actualy physical structure of the system. In the case of cogntive neuroscience the situation is a bit murkier because refernce is often made to some assumed feature or fetures of the brain (like the random behavior of neurons - or the existance of cortical colins) that are not on as solid a footing as one would think ( - see the discussion that started all this).

Free will is explicitly an assumption made in the design of learning models, and actually in how we think about learning all together. But that I think more has to do with how our brains make us think than how our brains actually think.

Jim
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T