[Comp-neuro] Ar there still dualists out there?

Malcolm Dean malcolmdean at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 01:08:57 CEST 2008

Gawd yes. Just attend the Tucson Conferences on Consciousness, or look
through any contemporary philosophical journal.

Malcolm Dean
Los Angeles

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 8:30 AM, G. Bard Ermentrout <bard at math.pitt.edu>wrote:

>>  Will we one day understand the brain to a similar degree as we now
>>> understand the
>>>  material world?
>>>
>> Are there still dualists out there?
> I believe that the brain is part of the material world.
> I am also not as pessimistic as Bill Lytton is.
>
> Bard

Malcolm Dean
Research Affiliate, Human Complex Systems, UCLA
Los Angeles CA
malcolmdean-at-gmail.com

Recent Lectures/Publications:
"The Gods Have Spoken: Descartes Must Die!" Yale IRST/SAC, March 21, 2008
"Cognition in Materiality," UCI HSC, January 12, 2008
"From Cosmogenesis to Extended Cognition," UCLA HCS, November 7, 2007
"Exorcising Entropy," SCTPLS, Orange, July 29, 2007
"Hitchhiker's Guide to (Cognitive) Thermodynamics," UCLA BRI, May 21, 2007
"Theology of Information," EOR, Hawaii, January 5, 2007
"Outline of Cognitive Thermodynamics," SCTPLS, Denver, August 5, 2005
"Cognitive Thermodynamics in Culture & Religion," SSSR, Kansas City, Oct 22,
2004
"General Theory of Cognitive Systems," UCLA BRI, May 13, 2004
Los Angeles Times, Op-Ed, April 8, 2004
DesktopLinux.com, O'Reilly.com
www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/228
Former News Editor, Maximum Linux, XML Journal
Former Principal Editor, Academic Computing, UCLA