[Comp-neuro] Re: Attractors, variability, noise, and other subversive ideas

Ted Carnevale carnevalet at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 13 22:06:03 CEST 2008

james bower wrote:
> This is one of the first times in history that a complex realistic model
> has spread across labs and opinions -- and speaks very well for the
> future - this is what the GENESIS project was about to begin with -- and
> now, more than 20 years later, it is starting to happen, not only with
> GENESIS but through Neuro-DB built by Michael Hines and the Neuron group
> at Yale as well.

Thanks for the plug, Jim.  And also for your advocacy of fresh ideas
(whether I agree with all of them or not) in computational/theoretical
neuroscience, or whatever it should be called.

Allow me this minor typographical correction:  it's ModelDB.
For those who may not yet know about it, here's the URL:
http://senselab.med.yale.edu/modeldb/
As of today, it contains source code for 394 published models,
most of which is ready to run.  We invite authors of published
models to submit them to ModelDB for attributed re-use and extension.

Now for my own bit of advocacy--

By making his model source code freely available for years, Jim Bower
has actually been shoring up reproducibility in computational modeling.
It is hardly necessary to mention that reproducibility has elsewhere
been called a cornerstone of scientific method.  How subversive of
his own polemic is that?!

As much as we might disagree on other issues, I am sure that Jim,
and also Bard (who has likewise shared code freely) will join me in
this call to arms:
To everyone who has published results obtained by studying computational
models of neurons or neural systems--at any level of abstraction--
free your source code!

--Ted