[Comp-neuro] Hilbert's questions

james bower bower at uthscsa.edu
Tue Aug 12 16:37:55 CEST 2008

Ego, me -- HA!!!

lol

Anyway - I don't believe, as I indicated in the book review, that we
are anywhere near being able to come up with the kind of formal
identification of problems that Hilbert's 23 problems identified in
mathematics in 1900.  We have a deep infrastructure problem, in my
opinion.   I am not even convinced that biological systems are
particularly amenable to anything comparable to an axiomatic approach
to  understanding the relationships between things.  With respect to
Hilbert, however, it is perhaps interesting that one of his beefs with
Euclid was with the assignment of meaning to mathematical objects
which he felt should be considered meaningless -- thus, perhaps, he
was also concerned about the tyranny of ideas - and in particular, was
trying to reduce reliance on human intuition, replacing it with a more
formal system of description and discovery.  In this sense, perhaps,
Hilbert was the equivalent of a "realistic modeler" within mathematics.

As far as the grande (sic) questions in neuroscience go, at the
grandest level it seems to me there is only one question:  "What is
each neuron communicating, and how is the message encoded."

Once we know that, the rest is clean up.

That said, it could be an interesting exercise to come up with a list
of the current Top Ten Topics attracting the attention of
computational neurobiologists. Anyone want to give it a try?

Jim

On Aug 12, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Bill Lytton wrote:

> Jim:
>
> I've been following with interest and have found myself in agreement
> with most of your points --
> not surprising perhaps since I'm also from the bio rather than the
> physics side of the great
> divide.
>
> The problem with the Hilbert knockoff that you reviewed was of
> course that it was n guys rather
> than 1 guy.
>
> So we need the guy -- needs to be someone with a reasonably large
> view of the field and a
> reasonably large ego :) -- how about you Jim? -- or Christof or
> Terry or Bard? (apologies
> to the many others who should also be named)
>
> perhaps Bard and Jim need to work together on this since 2 heads are
> better than 23 if not as
> good as 1, though perhaps better if coming from 2 different cultures
>
> this kind of thing may be better done in a listserv rather than a
> meeting anyway
>
> Bill
>
> PS was also enviously following the locales and beverages -- I'm
> stuck with diet pepsi
> in flatbush
>
> --
> William W. Lytton, MD
> Professor of Physiology, Pharmacology, Biomedical Engineering,
> Neurology
> State University of NY, Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
> billl at neurosim.downstate.edu http://it.neurosim.downstate.edu/~billl

==================================

Dr. James M. Bower Ph.D.

Professor of Computational Neuroscience

Research Imaging Center
University of Texas Health Science Center -
-  San Antonio
8403 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio Texas  78284-6240

Main Number:  210- 567-8100
Fax: 210 567-8152
Mobile:  210-382-0553

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE:
The contents of this email and any attachments to it may be privileged
or
contain privileged and confidential information. This information is
only
for the viewing or use of the intended recipient. If you have received
this
e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of, or the taking of
any
action in reliance upon, any of the information contained in this e-
mail, or
any of the attachments to this e-mail, is strictly prohibited and that
this
e-mail and all of the attachments to this e-mail, if any, must be
immediately returned to the sender or destroyed and, in either case,
this
e-mail and all attachments to this e-mail must be immediately deleted
from
your computer without making any copies hereof and any and all hard
copies
made must be destroyed. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please
notify the sender by e-mail immediately.