[Comp-neuro] From Socrates to Ptolemy

John Hallam john at mmmi.sdu.dk
Thu Aug 7 11:29:23 CEST 2008

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, G. Bard Ermentrout wrote:

> We've established that there is no "noise" in the nervous system.

 	I am intrigued by this.  Engineers in my experience mean one of
two things by "noise":  either the effects of stochastic processes in the
physical world which affect the system they are working with, or phenomena
in the physical world unaccounted for in the model they are using. The
first kind of noise clearly exists in the nervous system, since there are
processes (e.g. channel gates) operating at the thermal noise level...

 	So evidently you mean something different by "noise" -- could you
elucidate, or send me a pointer to the paper where this is established,
please, so that I can see how the term is used in practice by comp-neuro
folk?

Thanks in advance,

 	John Hallam