[Comp-neuro] From Socrates to Ptolemy

G. Bard Ermentrout bard at math.pitt.edu
Fri Aug 1 13:28:29 CEST 2008

We've established that there is no "noise" in the nervous system. Now lets
take on the shibboleth of "realistic" models. So, I will ask you all
why a model with 10000 compartments with dozens of active channels, none
of which has been measured (or probably can be with current techniques) is
more realistic than an abstracter model about which one can prove or argue
with some rigor is capable of explaining the underlying phenomena. I think
one can easily go to far in simplifying, but one can also err in the
opposite direction.

Bard