[Comp-neuro] PhD program in Neurobiology

Fidel Santamaria fidel.santamaria at utsa.edu
Wed Oct 10 18:13:47 CEST 2007

Dear colleagues,

I would like to bring to your attention our Ph.D. program in
Neurobiology at The University of Texas at San Antonio
(http://bio.utsa.edu/neurobiology/).

The Ph.D. program in Neurobiology at UTSA has been expanding
tremendously over the past few years. The main focus of this expansion
has been Computational Neuroscience. We have recruited 6 new assistant
professors that add to the 20+ labs already working in neurobiology
(http://bio.utsa.edu/neurobiology/faculty.html). Our program covers a
wide range of areas in neuroscience, from biophysics, to behavior, to
molecular biology.

Our facilities include three core facilities: advanced imaging center,
with confocal and 2-photon microscopes; the computational biology
initiative (http://cbi.utsa.edu/), with a large computing cluster and a
multitude of high-end software; and the proteomics facility. All of
these core facilities are staffed and offer training and help in
carrying out our research. Other area research centers that offer
potential for collaborations in San Antonio are the UT Health Science
Center (http://www.uthscsa.edu/) and the Southwest Foundation for
Biomedical Research (http://www.sfbr.org/).

UTSA offers multiple sources of financial support. There are fellowships
for qualified students that can last the extent of their studies,
covering stipend, tuition and fees, health insurance, and travel to
scientific meetings.

UTSA is in the outskirts of San Antonio, a town of about 2x10^6 people.
I could list many tourist attractions like the Alamo, the River Walk,
Fiesta Texas, or Sea World. However, there are three factors that make
this city different from other places to study a PhD in neurobiology:
It's friendly, it's affordable, and the range of average temperatures in
February is between 43-62F.

For more information please check the following links
http://bio.utsa.edu/neurobiology/
http://bio.utsa.edu/
http://vpr.utsa.edu/cores.php
http://utsa.edu

Best regards,

-Fidel

--

Fidel Santamaria, PhD

Assistant Professor

Department of Biology

One UTSA circle

University of Texas at San Antonio,

San Antonio, TX 78249

Office: (210) 458-6910 Fax: (210) 458-5658

Office Location: BSB 1.03.28

http://bio.utsa.edu/faculty/santamaria.html
<http://bio.utsa.edu/faculty/santamaria.html>