[Comp-neuro] Posting for compneuro

Rolf Kötter rk at hirn.uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri Sep 15 10:31:06 CEST 2006

I forward a job announcement on behalf of Jorge Riera:

JOB ANNOUNCEMENT - Postdoctoral Position in Two-Photon Laser Scanning
Techniques at the Institute of Development, Aging and Cancer, Tohoku
University, Sendai, Japan (http://www.idac.tohoku.ac.jp/): The
Department of "Functional Brain Imaging" (Prof. Ryuta Kawashima) will
acquire this year an Olympus FV 1000 MPE microscope to perform studies
on the columnar/laminar organization of the cerebral cortex at the
microscopic scale (in vivo; small animals: rats and mice; cortices:
visual and somatosensory). The "Neuronal Mass Dynamics" (NMD) group is
interested in obtaining topographic maps of the calcium dynamics
(concentration-sensitive dyes) and membrane potentials
(SHG/voltage-sensitive dyes) at different cortical layers during
spontaneous and induced neuronal activity. We will also perform
experiments using calcium/glutamate uncaging techniques (i.e.
photo-stimulation) to study different phasic/tonic and modulatory
pathways involved in the functional hyperemia. Through these studies, we
will be able to determine, to a great extend, the impact of the cortical
micro-architecture on different functional neuroimaging modalities
(EEG/MEG, PET and fMRI). For that reason, we are seeking applications
for a postdoctoral position on two-photon laser scanning fluorescence
and photo-stimulation in vivo. The candidates are required to have
experience on: a) experimental manipulations of small laboratory animals
and/or b) multi-photon or confocal laser scanning microscopy. The
appointee will have submitted a PhD in a field related to any
application of this technique prior to the commencement of the
fellowship, and will join a multidisciplinary team (e.g. Physicists,
Mathematicians, Medical Doctors). An evaluation will be done at the end
of each fiscal year, with the possibility to extend the position every
year up to a maximum of five years tenure. Send letter of interest, CV,
representative reprints, and two letters of recommendation to Dr. Jorge
Riera, (Associate Professor and Head of NMD group), Advanced Science and
Technology of Materials. NICHe, Tohoku University Aoba 6-6-10, Aramaki,
Aobaku, Sendai 980-8579, JAPAN. Informal inquiries are also welcome
+81-22-795-4647 or (riera at idac.tohoku.ac.jp). Please visit our
department website (http://www.idac.tohoku.ac.jp/dep/fbi/).