[Comp-neuro] New Paper

Arjen van Ooyen arjen.van.ooyen at falw.vu.nl
Tue Jul 11 09:11:19 CEST 2006

Generation of Time Delays: Simplified Models of Intracellular Signalling
in Cerebellar Purkinje Cells

Volker Steuber, David Willshaw & Arjen van Ooyen, Network: Computation
in Neural Systems (2006) 17: 173-191

Abstract
In many neuronal systems, information is encoded in temporal spike
patterns. The recognition and storage of temporal patterns requires the
generation and modulation of time delays between inputs and outputs. In
cerebellar Purkinje cells, stimulation of metabotropic glutamate
receptors (mGluRs) results in a delayed calcium and voltage response
that has been implicated in classical conditioning and temporal pattern
recognition. Here, we analyse and simplify a complex model of the
intracellular signalling network that has been proposed as a substrate
for this delayed response. We systematically simplify the original
model, present a minimal model of time delay generation, and show that a
delayed response can be produced by the combination of negative feedback
and autocatalysis, without any intervening signalling steps that would
contribute additive delays. The minimal model is analysed using phase
plane methods, and classified as an excitable system. We discuss the
implication of excitability for computations performed by intracellular
signalling networks in general.

To obtain the full paper in PDF, go to
http://www.bio.vu.nl/enf/vanooyen/publications.html

--
Dr. Arjen van Ooyen
Department of Experimental Neurophysiology

E-mail: arjen.van.ooyen at falw.vu.nl
Phone:  +31.20.5987090
Fax:    +31.20.5987112
Room:   C454